- Focus Only on Three Major Projects Most people limit their success by juggling too many projects. Make a list of all the things you have going on and get rid of everything except the three most important. Give yourself the opportunity to do great work on the three that mean the most.
- Define It What is the end result you want to achieve?
- Create Smaller Tasks Within Each Project Break the project into manageable pieces. Identify all the specific parts of the project.
- Establish Deadlines For Your Projects Coordinate the project workload back into your weekly and daily schedules. With a deadline, you will be more focused and concentrated at the task at hand so you can accomplish it on time.
- Ask Yourself The Right Questions Am I accomplishing the most important tasks today? Will it matter if the tasks assigned or the entire project doesn’t get done today? This week?
- Delegate tasks and projects Majority of your projects are taking too much of your time and energy and could be delegated so you can work on the most important. Determine what resources are needed (people, equipment, materials) how much do you need and when do you need them. Then research what resources are available and start delegating.
- Communication Is Key Interview all the major stakeholders to learn what their expectations are and what is important to them. Then design and implement a communication system that will keep everyone informed.
- Create During High-Energy Times Plan to create, write and work on projects during peak energy times. Our peak times occur between 11am-1pm and 4-6pm.
- Evaluate Review your progress periodically. This will help you stay on track. After the project is complete take a few minutes to evaluate your success and identify areas for future improvements.
- Reward Yourself Take some time to enjoy and appreciate your accomplishments. You deserve it you did a great job!
Copyright ©2005-2017 Joel Garfinkle, All Rights Reserved.
Joel Garfinkle is recognized as one of the top 50 coaches in the U.S., and the author of 7 books, including Getting Ahead: Three Steps to Take Your Career to the Next Level. He has worked with many of the world's leading companies, including Google, Deloitte, Amazon, Ritz-Carlton, Gap, Cisco, Oracle, and many more. Visit Joel online at Garfinkle Executive Coaching. Subscribe to his Fulfillment@Work Newsletter and receive the FREE e-book, 40 Proven Strategies to Get Promoted Now!
This article may be reprinted or forwarded to colleagues and friends as long as the above copyright notice and contact information is attached in its entirety.
If you reprint this article, please advise us that you have done so and forward a copy of the article, or a link to the web page where the article can be viewed, to Joel Garfinkle.