Executive coaches help clients chart a course in their job. They guide them in advancement strategies and solve problems holding them back. They assist them to resolve issues with peers, bosses, teamwork, and job focus.
Executive coaches also specialize in Business Leadership Coaching. Here the focus narrows. You get expert help to move you from management to leadership.
Here are five ways your coach can jumpstart your leadership development.
- Uncover the qualities of a great leader. Coaches help you to identify the qualities of great leaders. You may have seen these attributes in action, but having them pointed out helps you evaluate your own skills.
Which of these traits do you already possess? Which ones can you gain? Specialized coaching helps you quickly master those leadership qualities that will advance your career.
- Escape common mistakes. Sometimes the easy way or the most used path has pitfalls. On your way to a stellar career, make sure you don’t damage it with typical mistakes.
Executive Coaches guide you through the minefields that can derail your progress. They offer strategies and experience so you can avoid those mistakes and quickly become the leader you want to be.
- Master time allocation and priorities. The jobs and skills you used in management are not necessarily the same ones you need as a leader. Determining which priorities you need as a leader can mean the difference between quick promotions and no promotions.
Sometimes “favorite” jobs need to be reassigned so you can focus on the vision and consensus building needed as a leader. Expect your leadership coach to give valuable insight into calendaring and priorities.
- Recognize excellence and show appreciation. Great leaders look for and recognize the value added by every member of the organization- those above him as well as those below. He is free with praise and appreciation.
Business leadership coaches help emerging and rising leaders learn how to see the praiseworthy and appropriately respond to it. Far too many people feel under appreciated. Leaders earn loyalty and dedicated employees as they master the skill of appreciation.
- Stay true to you. As you move up the ladder, you know you need to fit in. You need to be visible and have influence. At times it’s tempting to try to be what everyone else wants you to be.
Your coach will help you see this is a path to burnout and unhappiness. Instead, he or she will help you bring out your best traits. Coaches show you how your personal qualities bring a unique mix to the organization and how to keep being yourself even as you move up.
They can help you have the confidence to stay true to yourself in all situations.
John Russell, Managing Director, Harley-Davidson Europe Ltd. says, “I never cease to be amazed at the power of the coaching process to draw out the skills or talent that was previously hidden within an individual, and which invariably finds a way to solve a problem previously thought unsolvable.”
Find an executive coach with business leadership coaching skills to shepherd you past the pitfalls and into true leadership status.
Copyright ©2005-2017 Joel Garfinkle, All Rights Reserved.
Joel Garfinkle is recognized as one of the top 50 coaches in the U.S., and the author of 7 books, including Getting Ahead: Three Steps to Take Your Career to the Next Level. He has worked with many of the world's leading companies, including Google, Deloitte, Amazon, Ritz-Carlton, Gap, Cisco, Oracle, and many more. Visit Joel online at Garfinkle Executive Coaching. Subscribe to his Fulfillment@Work Newsletter and receive the FREE e-book, 40 Proven Strategies to Get Promoted Now!
This article may be reprinted or forwarded to colleagues and friends as long as the above copyright notice and contact information is attached in its entirety.
If you reprint this article, please advise us that you have done so and forward a copy of the article, or a link to the web page where the article can be viewed, to Joel Garfinkle.